The Department of Innovation Economics deals with a broad range of questions, especially ones relating to the influence which different institutional frameworks have on various forms of innovation. One key aspect of our work is research in the field of standardization which includes the identification of new standardization topics as well as the examination of the effects which standardization has on innovation and the emergence of new markets. Another key aspect is the analysis of intellectual property rights and patents in particular as a strategic instrument for innovative companies but also as an indicator for innovation activities in new technology branches and different countries. Furthermore, the effects which other forms of regulation, e.g. concerning environmental, labour market or public procurement issues, have on innovation processes are explored. Moreover, innovation activities in the public sector including various options of eGovernment are examined in close cooperation with the Fraunhofer Institute for Open Communication Systems FOKUS.
At the Department many projects are processed. Amongs others by
- the Federal Ministry of Education and Research (BMBF) ,
- the Federal Ministry of Economics and Energy (BMWi) ,
- the Federal Ministry of Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) ,
- the German Institute for Standardization (DIN) ,
- the European Standardization Organization (CEN-CENELEC) ,
- the International Standardization Organization (ISO) ,
- the European Commission (EC) ,
- the European Patent Office (EPO) ,
- the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO) ,
- the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) .
- Ergebnisse BWL (Lebenswerk) 2014 
- Ergebnisse BWL (Forscher) 2012 
- Ergebnisse BWL (Universitäten) 2012