Inhalt des Dokuments
Tim Pohlmann, PhD
- © Pohlmann
Technische Universität Berlin
Chair of Innovation Economics
Secr. MAR 2 - 5
Room: MAR 2.069
Marchstraße 23 D-10587 Berlin
Consulting times: by arrangement
- CEO and founder of IPlytics , a software company that provides a patent analytics tool (IPlytics Platform ) which connects information on patents, standards, SEPs and companies in a visual interface. The intelligence tool empowers its users to analyze a company’s competitive position for any industry using patent valuation and patent landscaping methods.
- Associate Member  of the "Law and Economics of Patents Group" at the CERNA , Mines ParisTech,  Paris (since 2013).
- Doctoral degree with the highest distinction (summa cum laude) on Patenting and coordination in ICT standardization: Empirical analyses of essential patents, patent pools, and standards consortia  (2009-2013)
- Economics and Business at the Philipps University of Marburg  with majors in Technology- and Innovationmanagement (2005-2009)
- International Business Administration at the University of Kent , Canterbury, UK, awarded International Diploma (2007-2008)
- CEO and founder of IPlytics . IPlytics is a Berlin based company that offers an online based patent analytics  platform tool  to analyze market developments, technology trends and a company’s competitive position. IPlytics Platform integrates patent valuations  and a mapping of patents  to technology standards and products. IPlytics Platform helps companies making the right R&D investment decisions by providing actionable and trustworthy insights on relevant IP assets .
- Associate researcher  at Mines ParisTech, "Law and Economics of Patents Group" at CERNA.
- PhD Position, TU Berlin, Faculty of Economics and Management, Chair of Innovation Economics.
- Federal Ministry of Economics and Technology (BMWi) , Berlin, Department VII A4 Patent Policy: Evaluation of funding mechanisms concerning the Initiative SIGNO Universities .
Main Research Focuses
- IPR Stratagies of Participating Organisations in ICT Standardisation Bodies
- Standards Consortia and Fora
- The Interplay of IPR and Standards 
Peer-reviewed international journals:
- Baron, J.; Pohlmann, T. (2018):Mapping Standards to Patents Using Declarations of Standard-Essential Patents, Journal of Economics and Management Strategy, Forthcoming.
- Baron, J.; Pohlmann, T.; Blind, K. (2016): Essential patents and standard dynamics , Research Policy, Vol. 45(9), 2016.
- Pohlmann, T.; Neuhäusler, P.; Blind, K. (2015): Standard essential patents to boost financial returns , R&D Management, 2015 Jun 1.
- Baron, J., Ménière, Y. Pohlmann, T. (2014): Standards, Consortia and Innovation , International Journal of Industrial Organization, 36, pp.22-35.
- Pohlmann, T. (2014) The Evolution of ICT Standards Consortia , Communications & Strategies, 95, 3, 17-40
- Baron, J., Pohlmann, T. (2013): Who Cooperates in Standards Consortia: Rivals or Complementors? , Journal of Competition Law and Economics, 9 (4), pp. 905-929.
- Pohlmann, T., Opitz, M. (2013): Typology of the Patent Troll Business , R&D Management, Volume 43, Issue 2, pages 103–120, March 2013.
Publications in specialist journals:
- Pohlmann, T. (2017): Patents and standards in the auto industry , Intellectual Asset Management June 2017, pp. 22-27.
- Pohlmann, T. (2016): Landscaping Standard Essential Patents , Intellectual Asset Management January 2016, pp. 27-34.
- Méniere, Y., Dietrich, Y., Baron, J., Pohlmann, T. and Nguyen-Dinh, L. (2015): Patent positions and start-up success , Intellectual Asset Management March/April 2015, pages 27-34.
- Blind, K., Pohlmann, T. (2014): Patente in Technologiestandards: Innovation oder Blockade für die IKT-Industrie? , GRUR Zeitschrift für gewerblichen Rechtschutz und Urheberrecht, Heft 8/2014, 713 - 719.
- Blind, K., Pohlmann, T. (2014): The Interplay of Patents and Standards for Information and Communication Technologies , PIK - Praxis der Informationsverarbeitung und Kommunikation. Band 37, Heft 3, Seiten 189–195, ISSN (Online) 1865-8342, ISSN (Print) 0930-5157, DOI: 10.1515/pik-2014-0016, September 2014.
- Blind, K., Pohlmann, T. (2013): Trends In The Interplay Of IPR And Standards, FRAND Commitments And SEP Litigation , les Nouvelles, pages 177-181, September 2013.
- Pohlmann (2013): Schluesselpatente ELAN 2013 – Ausgabe 1, pages 12-13. 
- Pohlmann (2010): Academic Patent and Innovation Strategies, TIM- Paper on Strategy and Innovation 10-01, Marburg,  February 2010, ISSN 1864-2039.
- Pohlmann T.; Blind K. (2013): Firms’ cooperative activities as driving factors of patent declaration on technological standards , working paper.
- Pohlmann, T.; Baron, J. (2013): Patent Pools and Patent Inflation , working paper.
- IADIS International Conference, Telecommunications, Networks and Systems, Freiburg 2010. www.tns-conf.org 
- INTERTIC Conference on Competition in High Tech Markets, Innovation, Networks and Multi-sided Markets, Milan 2010. http://dipeco.economia.unimib.it/network/ 
- Conference ICT and Economic Growth. Strategy in ICT Markets, Munich 2010. www.en.ice.bwl.uni-muenchen.de 
- DRUID-DIME Academy Winter Conference. ECONOMICS AND MANAGEMENT OF INNOVATION, TECHNOLOGY AND ORGANIZATIONS, Aalborg 2011. www2.druid.dk 
- International EMAEE Conference (European Meeting on Applied Evolutionary Economics), Pisa 2011. www.lem.sssup.it 
- 7th International Conference on Standardization and Innovation in Information Technology SIIT, Berlin 2011. http://www.siit2011.org/ 
- 6th Annual Conference of the EPIP Association: Fine-Tuning IPR debates, Brussels 2011. www.epip.eu/conferences 
- Conference on the Economics of Information and Communication Technologies Paris, 2011. http://ses.telecom-paristech.fr 
- USPTO Patent Statistics for Decision Makers Conference, Alexandria, USA 2011. conference-uspto  -->poster 
- ICTNET 4th workshop – ICT, R&D, Intangibles and ICT Diffusion, London, 2012. OECD ICT NET conference 
- 7th Annual Conference of the EPIP Association, Leuven, 2012. EPIP2012 
- Invited talk on SEPs and litigation, ITU Patent Roundtable, Geneva. ITU2012 
- Patent statistics for decision makers (PSDM) conference: Knowledge assets and economic growth, Paris. PSDM2012 ---> video cast
- Searle Center Research Roundtable on Technology Standards, Innovation, and Market Standards , Kellogg School of Management, Northwestern University, Chicago, 2013. 
- Sixth Annual Conference on Entrepreneurship and Innovation : U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO)-Ewing Marion Kauffman Foundation Conference on Intellectual Property and Entrepreneurship, Northwestern Law, Chicago, 2013.
- Invited talk on "Tensions between Competion Rules and Intellectual Property Rights in the ICT Sector”, the 9th ELEA Symposium , Bruges, Belgium, 2013.
- 2010/2011: The European Commission (DG Enterprise & Industry) commissioned the fact-finding Study on the Interplay between Standards and IPR (Intellectual Property Rights)  on the background "Towards an increased contribution from standardisation to innovation” supported by Council Conclusions. The study was conducted by the TU Berlin in cooperation with Fraunhofer Institute for Communication System, Dialogic, the School of Innovation Sciences at Eindhoven University of Technology and two legal consultants.
- 2010/2011: Bundesministerium für Wirtschaft und Technologie (BMWi ): Open or Closed Source Geschäftsmodelle - Studie in Kooperation mit PriceWaterhouseCoopers und Fraunhofer FOKUS: Geschäftsmodelle für Softwareanbieter - Von der Forschung zum Erfolg 
- 2013: WIPO Study: "Exploratory Study on the Egyptian IT sector and the Role of IPR” . Under this CDIP project, the government of Egypt, via the Ministry of Communication and Information Technology (MCIT), has requested the WIPO Chief Economist to assess the Economic Impact of Intellectual Property in the ICT Sector in Egypt. Tim Pohlmann will conduct the study as an expert in the field of economic impacts of IP systems.
- 2013: The goal of the IPlytics project is to establish the worldwide entity to provide data on patents and standards that can be accessed via one single platform: OpenPSP .
- 2014: Expertenkommission Forschung und Innovation (2014): Informations- und Kommunikationstechnologien in Deutschland und im internationalen Vergleich  - ausgewählte Innovationsindikatoren -. Fraunhofer ISI, ZEW, NIW, TU Berlin.
- 2014: EU Study: Patents and Standards A modern framework for IPR-based standardization . A study prepared for the European Commission Directorate-General for Enterprise and Industry, ISBN 978-92-79-35991-0 DOI: 10.2769/90861.
- IP-Management, WS 2009/2010, Technical University Berlin
- Strategic Standardization, SS 2011, Technical University Berlin
- Strategic Standardization, SS 2012, Technical University Berlin
- IP/Patent-Management, SS 2012, University of Potsdam
- Strategic Standardization, WS 2012/2013, Technical University Berlin
- IP-Management, WS 2012/2013, Technical University Berlin