Inhalt des Dokuments
- Associate Member of the "Law and Economics of Patents Group" at the CERNA , Mines ParisTech, Paris (since 2013).
- Doctoral degree with the highest distinction (summa cum laude) on Patenting and coordination in ICT standardization: Empirical analyses of essential patents, patent pools, and standards consortia (2009-2013)
- Economics and Business at the Philipps University of Marburg with majors in Technology- and Innovationmanagement (2005-2009)
- International Business Administration at the University of Kent, Canterbury, UK, awarded International Diploma (2007-2008)
- Empirical diploma thesis "Academic Patent and Innovation Strategies". In co-operation with the Federal Ministry of Economics and Technology (BMWi)
- Visitig Scholar at CERNA Mines, ParisTech, Law and Economics of Patents Group, Paris, France; research project on patent pools and standards consortia with Justus Baron and Yan Ménière. (May-Jun and Nov-Dec 2010, Feb and Jul-Aug 2011)
- CEO and founder of IPlytics. IPlytics is a Berlin based company that offers an online based patent analytics platform tool to analyze market developments, technology trends and a company’s competitive position. IPlytics Platform integrates patent valuations and a mapping of patents to technology standards and products. IPlytics Platform helps companies making the right R&D investment decisions by providing actionable and trustworthy insights on relevant IP assets.
- German Industry and Commerce Dubai, UAE, Department of Business Information: Generation of marked inquiries, feasibility studies for potential investors, negotiation with local agencies. (Aug-Sep 2006)
- Utimaco Safeware AG, Aachen, Division Strategy Management: Competitor analysis, market positioning, partner integration analysis. (March-April 2007)
- Siemens IT Solutions, Munich, Division Customer Account NSN: Order- and Processmanagement. (Jul-Okt 2008)
- Federal Ministry of Economics and Technology (BMWi), Berlin, Department VII A4 Patent Policy: Evaluation of funding mechanisms concerning the Initiative SIGNO Universities. (March-April 2009)
Main Research Focuses
- IPR Stratagies of Participating Organisations in ICT Standardisation Bodies
- Standards Consortia and Fora
- The Interplay of IPR and Standards (PDF, 56,5 KB)
Peer-reviewed international journals:
- Baron, J.; Pohlmann, T.; Blind, K. (2016): Essential patents and standard dynamics, Research Policy, in press.
- Pohlmann, T.; Neuhäusler, P.; Blind, K. (2015): Standard essential patents to boost financial returns, R&D Management, 2015 Jun 1.
- Baron, J., Ménière, Y. Pohlmann, T. (2014): Standards, Consortia and Innovation, International Journal of Industrial Organization, 36, pp.22-35.
- Pohlmann, T. (2014) The Evolution of ICT Standards Consortia, Communications & Strategies, 95, 3, 17-40
- Baron, J., Pohlmann, T. (2013): Who Cooperates in Standards Consortia: Rivals or Complementors?, Journal of Competition Law and Economics, 9 (4), pp. 905-929.
- Pohlmann, T., Opitz, M. (2013): Typology of the Patent Troll Business, R&D Management, Volume 43, Issue 2, pages 103–120, March 2013.
Publications in specialist journals:
- Pohlmann, T. (2016): Landscaping Standard Essential Patents, Intellectual Asset Management January 2016, pp. 27-34.
- Méniere, Y., Dietrich, Y., Baron, J., Pohlmann, T. and Nguyen-Dinh, L. (2015): Patent positions and start-up success, Intellectual Asset Management March/April 2015, pages 27-34.
- Blind, K., Pohlmann, T. (2014): Patente in Technologiestandards: Innovation oder Blockade für die IKT-Industrie?, GRUR Zeitschrift für gewerblichen Rechtschutz und Urheberrecht, Heft 8/2014, 713 - 719.
- Blind, K., Pohlmann, T. (2014): The Interplay of Patents and Standards for Information and Communication Technologies, PIK - Praxis der Informationsverarbeitung und Kommunikation. Band 37, Heft 3, Seiten 189–195, ISSN (Online) 1865-8342, ISSN (Print) 0930-5157, DOI: 10.1515/pik-2014-0016, September 2014.
- Blind, K., Pohlmann, T. (2013): Trends In The Interplay Of IPR And Standards, FRAND Commitments And SEP Litigation, les Nouvelles, pages 177-181, September 2013.
- Pohlmann (2010): Academic Patent and Innovation Strategies, TIM- Paper on Strategy and Innovation 10-01, Marburg, February 2010, ISSN 1864-2039.
- Pohlmann T.; Blind K. (2013): Firms’ cooperative activities as driving factors of patent declaration on technological standards, working paper.
- Pohlmann, T.; Baron, J. (2013): Patent Pools and Patent Inflation, working paper.
- IADIS International Conference, Telecommunications, Networks and Systems, Freiburg 2010. www.tns-conf.org
- INTERTIC Conference on Competition in High Tech Markets, Innovation, Networks and Multi-sided Markets, Milan 2010. http://dipeco.economia.unimib.it/network/
- Conference ICT and Economic Growth. Strategy in ICT Markets, Munich 2010. www.en.ice.bwl.uni-muenchen.de
- DRUID-DIME Academy Winter Conference. ECONOMICS AND MANAGEMENT OF INNOVATION, TECHNOLOGY AND ORGANIZATIONS, Aalborg 2011. www2.druid.dk
- International EMAEE Conference (European Meeting on Applied Evolutionary Economics), Pisa 2011. www.lem.sssup.it
- 7th International Conference on Standardization and Innovation in Information Technology SIIT, Berlin 2011. http://www.siit2011.org/
- 6th Annual Conference of the EPIP Association: Fine-Tuning IPR debates, Brussels 2011. www.epip.eu/conferences
- Conference on the Economics of Information and Communication Technologies Paris, 2011. http://ses.telecom-paristech.fr
- USPTO Patent Statistics for Decision Makers Conference, Alexandria, USA 2011. conference-uspto -->poster
- ICTNET 4th workshop – ICT, R&D, Intangibles and ICT Diffusion, London, 2012. OECD ICT NET conference
- 7th Annual Conference of the EPIP Association, Leuven, 2012. EPIP2012
- Invited talk on SEPs and litigation, ITU Patent Roundtable, Geneva. ITU2012
- Patent statistics for decision makers (PSDM) conference: Knowledge assets and economic growth, Paris. PSDM2012 ---> video cast
- Searle Center Research Roundtable on Technology Standards, Innovation, and Market Standards, Kellogg School of Management, Northwestern University, Chicago, 2013. (PDF, 112,1 KB)
- Sixth Annual Conference on Entrepreneurship and Innovation: U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO)-Ewing Marion Kauffman Foundation Conference on Intellectual Property and Entrepreneurship, Northwestern Law, Chicago, 2013.
- Invited talk on "Tensions between Competion Rules and Intellectual Property Rights in the ICT Sector”, the 9th ELEA Symposium, Bruges, Belgium, 2013.
- 2010/2011: The European Commission (DG Enterprise & Industry) commissioned the fact-finding Study on the Interplay between Standards and IPR (Intellectual Property Rights) on the background "Towards an increased contribution from standardisation to innovation” supported by Council Conclusions. The study was conducted by the TU Berlin in cooperation with Fraunhofer Institute for Communication System, Dialogic, the School of Innovation Sciences at Eindhoven University of Technology and two legal consultants.
- 2010/2011: Bundesministerium für Wirtschaft und Technologie (BMWi): Open or Closed Source Geschäftsmodelle - Studie in Kooperation mit PriceWaterhouseCoopers und Fraunhofer FOKUS: Geschäftsmodelle für Softwareanbieter - Von der Forschung zum Erfolg
- 2013: WIPO Study: "Exploratory Study on the Egyptian IT sector and the Role of IPR”. Under this CDIP project, the government of Egypt, via the Ministry of Communication and Information Technology (MCIT), has requested the WIPO Chief Economist to assess the Economic Impact of Intellectual Property in the ICT Sector in Egypt. Tim Pohlmann will conduct the study as an expert in the field of economic impacts of IP systems.
- 2013: The goal of the IPlytics project is to establish the worldwide entity to provide data on patents and standards that can be accessed via one single platform: OpenPSP.
- 2014: Expertenkommission Forschung und Innovation (2014): Informations- und Kommunikationstechnologien in Deutschland und im internationalen Vergleich - ausgewählte Innovationsindikatoren -. Fraunhofer ISI, ZEW, NIW, TU Berlin.
- 2014: EU Study: Patents and Standards A modern framework for IPR-based standardization. A study prepared for the European Commission Directorate-General for Enterprise and Industry, ISBN 978-92-79-35991-0 DOI: 10.2769/90861.
- IP-Management, WS 2009/2010, Technical University Berlin
- Strategic Standardization, SS 2011, Technical University Berlin
- Strategic Standardization, SS 2012, Technical University Berlin
- IP/Patent-Management, SS 2012, University of Potsdam
- Strategic Standardization, WS 2012/2013, Technical University Berlin
- IP-Management, WS 2012/2013, Technical University Berlin
- Innovation Tomorrow Fresh thoughts on tommorrow's innovation system